The National Restaurant is a unique and irresistible dining experience in the heart of Telluride. Head to this restaurant to embark on a culinary journey of expertly crafted dishes with Instagram-worthy presentations. Keep reading to get the inside scoop from Exceptional Stays below on this local favorite.
The History of the National in Telluride
The National in Telluride is in a building rich in history. The building belonged to The National Club, one of the most popular Telluride mining era hangouts. Some of the scenes the 120-year-old brick walls have seen are dancing girls, cigars, card games, and whiskey.
In the 20th century, they bought a telegraph to directly wire the latest sporting results. As technology progressed, electricity started to illuminate the beloved Telluride hangout. Prohibition put a damper on the fun in the building until the Last Dollar Saloon opened in 1978. The National Telluride Restaurant opened in 2018 with the creation of Ross Martin and Erich Owen, two of the most highly esteemed Telluride chefs.
Indulge Yourself at The National in Telluride
The National offers a chic and elegant dining experience that is “unconventional yet approachable.” Enjoy flavorful dishes that use locally sourced ingredients from farms in the surrounding communities. Indulge in the drink of your choice from either the nightly Sommelier on the floor who will discuss wine pairings or the seasonal cocktail list from the innovative bar team. They feature an impressive 4.6-star rating from over 120 Google reviews and a stellar 4.5-star rating from over 51 Trip Advisor reviews. Below are some of our favorites from the national menu.
- Crab Cake: Start out your meal at The National Telluride with delicious crab and artichoke cake and a delightful array of smoke jalapeno crema, pea tendrils, radish, and roast tomato.
- Blue Grouse Bread: This is an affordable but delicious way to start your meal at The National Telluride. Tease your taste buds with blue grouse bread covered in rosemary volcanic sea salt butter.
- Linguini: Pasta is always a crowd-pleaser. Enjoy linguini pasta smothered in garlic, white wine, manilla clams, lemon, parsley, and pecorino.
- Vegan Lasagna: This is an excellent option for vegans/vegetarians at The National Telluride. Enjoy a delicious blend of pesto, puttanesca, arugula, and frisee.
- 16oz Ribeye: This is an excellent entree for spoiling yourself when you have a mighty appetite. Devour a 16 oz kobe ribeye steak with black truffle bordelaise, chive mash, and swiss chard.
- Chocolate Cake: Satisfy your sweet tooth by ending your meal at The National Telluride with a delicious chocolate cake topped with chocolate ice cream, huckleberries, and creme fraiche.
- Coconut Cream Pie: Let your taste buds experience a delightful slice of coconut cream pie with berries and hazelnuts.