Spain's gorgeous island of Ibiza is a natural wonderland with both miles of pristine beaches at every turn and incredible mountains over on the north side of the island. It's a location that calls out to nature lovers from all around the world, and there are many ways that you may choose to explore Ibiza during your vacation. One of the most entertaining ways to discover the beautiful secrets of the island is with an incredible horseback ride, and these are just two of Ibiza's most trusted providers of horseback-riding adventures that are suitable for either couples or families who are traveling with older children and teenagers.
1. Ibiza Horse Valley
Dedicated to the rescue of mistreated and abandoned horses, the founders of Ibiza Horse Valley began to pursue their dream of creating a sanctuary in 2010. Each horse is provided with the proper veterinarian care and rehabilitated, and those who are unable to fully recover are allowed to spend the remainder of their lives in comfort. Horses that fully recover and meet specific behavioral guidelines are brought back into the world of riding as a way to finance the continued care of all of the horses that find their way to this exceptional rescue.
This beautiful horse sanctuary is situated across nearly 100 acres in a canyon in Es Murta Natural Park in Sant Joan de Labritja, and the entire herd lives in a completely natural habitat. Several horseback-riding experiences are offered all year long on the lovely north part of the island, and you may choose from a half-day ride that allows you to spend four to five hours riding through the mountains or a full-day ride that includes time at the beach swimming with the horses. Please note that the horses are only allowed to swim during specific times of the year. An overnight horseback-riding adventure with camping may also be requested.
Everyone age 12 and older is welcome to enjoy a horseback ride, and it doesn't matter whether you're a beginner or quite experienced. Each participant is asked to take some time greeting the horses and caring for them in some way before the ride begins. This allows you to choose your favorite horse for the ride. To ensure the complete safety of everyone, riding groups are limited to eight individuals with two guides assigned to each group. For the benefit of the horses, there is a weight limit of no more than 198 pounds per horse.
2. North Ride Ibiza
Specializing in unique Ibiza horseback rides on the wild north side of the island, North Ride Ibiza keeps its stables in a beautifully protected area in the mountains between San Joan and Portinatx. While this activity is family friendly, it's also popular with couples thanks to the romantic scenery. You may expect to ride through a beautiful alpine setting that ends with a stunning view over the Mediterranean Sea.
You'll find extremely calm horses that are suitable for beginners and motivated horses for the experienced horseback rider, and each rider will meet the horses and spend some time bushing them before choosing their horse for the day. Rides are scheduled for groups of no more than four with a guide to ensure safety and personalized attention, and these are just a few of the experiences that are regularly offered.
From May 1 to October 15
- Morning and Evening Rides: These are available for as little as one hour and up to three hours.
- Mountain Magic/Sunset Charm: Perfect for romance, this 1.5-hour ride may include a sunset picnic with champagne with views across the mountains and the sea.
- The Best of the North: A two-hour round trip, this option takes you on winding mountain paths, past Ses Caletas Bay and through orchards filled with fig, olive and almond trees.
- Up to the Mountains or Down to the Sea: Head up to the highest northern mountain for the best views on the island, or you can take a ride to the lighthouse of Portinatx. A picnic may be added by request.
- Advanced Riders: Each Wednesday and Saturday, those who consider themselves advanced riders and are confident in walking, trotting and canter may sign up for a 1.5- or three-hour ride.
- Long Weekend: Spend Friday, Saturday and Sunday riding through the mountains or to the beach. Food and camping equipment is included.
From October 15 to May 1
During this time, rides of up to six hours are available through Ibiza's mountains and to some famous beaches that include Aguas Blancas and Benirras. Individual groups may also request a special ride at any time. Please note that beach rides are only permitted between Nov. 15 and Feb. 15. It's advisable to check the local weather before your ride so that you'll be sure to be dressed appropriately.