Golf is one of the world's most popular sports, and it's simply not a real vacation for many unless a daily golf game is part of the plan. Fortunately, those golfing enthusiasts who plan to vacation along Spain's beautiful Costa Brava are in for a treat because it's home to some truly exceptional world-class golf courses. These are just three of the best Costa Brava courses that you'll want to play during your stay.
1. PGA Catalunya
Touted as the best golf course in the entire country of Spain and a true paradise for any golfing enthusiast, PGA Catalunya may be found in Caldes de Malavella, Girona. Those lucky enough to book a tee time at this world-class venue will certainly be in good company because the PGA Catalunya is a proud member of the European Tour Destinations portfolio, and a great many professional golfers and international teams have played on its courses and utilized its incredible onsite coaching and practice facilities. You'll want to be sure to check out both courses during your visit.
- The Stadium Course: In addition to being the top course in Spain, the Stadium also stands as one of the top 100 golf courses in the entire world. Expect to be fully challenged by all 18 holes that make up this stunningly beautiful course, and you can count on the many trees, lakes and strategically placed bunkers to bring out all of your best golfing skills. At least seven of the holes are considered quite tough, and hole 6 has put more than one professional golfer in a serious bind.
- The Tour Course: The tamer of the two courses, the Tour is a delight for golfers of every skill level. Exciting challenges await on this stunning 18-hole course that is filled with pine trees and lakes, and it's a great idea to start out on this course before working your way up to the Stadium.
The practice area is nothing short of incredible, and there's an area devoted to beginners only as well as areas set up for golfers who wish to improve their skills. Visitors are welcome to practice on the putting green and chipping area that boasts five bunkers with a different type of sand in each one. A practice driving range is also available.
Once you're out on the course, you may take advantage of the special Buggy Bar, which is an enhanced golf cart that brings around snacks and refreshments for the golfers. You'll also have access to the clubhouse, and you may enjoy a drink on the terrace or sit down to a full meal prepared fresh by the onsite chef.
2. Club De Golf D'Aro
Beautifully situated high in the Les Gavarres Mountains at nearly 1,000 feet above sea level, this incredible 18-hole golf course is one of the oldest and most popular in all of Costa Brava. The views from this height are nothing short of spectacular, and the course itself is filled with more than 1,000 cork, pine and olive trees and two huge artificial lakes. Play is fun and challenging as the course twists around the mountain tops, and you should plan on losing a few golf balls right off the steep cliffs just steps from the fairway.
There's a practice area available for those who want to brush up on their skills before starting a game, and this includes two putting greens and available instructors. A pro shop is also onsite, and you'll definitely want to visit the clubhouse during your visit. It houses the changing rooms with a relaxing sauna and the Forat 19 Restaurant, which offers elegant dining and boasts a fresh Mediterranean menu.
3. Emporda Golf
Nestled in the heart of Costa Brava, this amazing golf course boasts 36 holes with a choice of a full six course combinations. This is the first course in Spain to be designed by Robert Von Hagge, who has built some of the best courses in the entire world. Chosen as one of the 10 best courses in all of Spain, Emporda is considered to be technically perfect so that golfers must utilize a full range of techniques and strokes during each game.
- Emporda Links: This challenging course includes strategically placed bunkers, lakes and dunes, and the 18th hole is the most difficult of all thanks to being completely surrounded by a large lake.
- Emporda Forest: True to its name, this 18-hole course meanders through a pine forest, and the trees make play quite challenging.
- Emporda Tour Course: Those who are up for a full day of play on all 36 holes may choose this option that includes both courses.
The onsite golf school offers custom lessons for both adults and children, and there's also a free practice area that includes two long-shot driving ranges, two putting greens, bunkers and five separate approach areas.