Those with a passion for the performing arts should start making plans now to attend the 2018 Grec Festival that has been scheduled for July 1-31 at various venues across the city of Barcelona, Spain. Considered one of Europe's finest cultural events, the Grec Festival offers a series of music, dance and theater performances along with jaw-dropping circus acts that are sure to be enjoyed by those of all ages. While the official lineup has not yet been made available, you're welcome to read further to learn more about what to expect from this excellent yearly festival.
More Than Four Decades of Entertainment
The first Grec Festival took place in 1976, and it has grown bigger and more popular each year since that time. The early years were dedicated entirely to theater performances, and those are still a very big part of the entertainment. As the years went by, much more was added to fully represent the wide range of performing arts in this month-long celebration of creativity and personal art forms.
A Special Note About the Greek Theater
This spectacular open-air theater was first built in 1929 on Barcelona's Montjuic Mountain specifically for the city's World's Fair, and it's where many of the Grec Festival's finest performances have been held since the beginning and are still held to this day. It features a bowl-like auditorium that is perfect for viewing the performances regardless of where you are seated, and it boasts exceptional lighting and sound that works to greatly enhance the overall experience.
While a few things may vary or are added each year, the Grec Festival always features leading local and international talent in a variety of creative areas. There are often a few performances that are considered controversial, but visitors are welcome to either skip or embrace these. However, most of the acts are 100% family friendly, and various performances may be offered completely free of charge, require an advance ticket, be available one time only or repeat during the month. This is just a bit of what you may expect to enjoy at the Grec Festival.
- Music: Concerts are abundant, and all genres are usually represented. These include contemporary, classical, modern, Latin and jazz, and popular venues include the Harlem Jazz Club and Sala Apolo.
- Theater: Expect no less than 30 theatrical performances during the Grec Festival, and these include historical dramas, comedies, tragedies and contemporary performances.
- Dance: You never know what interesting styles of dance may be showcased each year, but you can count on them all being fantastic. Expect a bit of contemporary, salsa, ballet, jazz, lyrical, hip hop and ballroom just to name a few, and these are held at several venues that include the Greek Theater and Sala Apolo.
- Circus Night: A festival favorite of every child and child at heart, Circus Night brings out the clowns, acrobats, jugglers, trapeze artists and other entertaining circus professionals. No less than six shows are held throughout the festival at venues that include the Lliure Theater, the Archaeology Museum of Catalonia, the Greek Theater and the Mercat de les Flors.
- Mini Grec: Introduce your children to the performing arts with exceptional hands-on activities and fun events aimed at the younger generation. This is a great way for your child to try their hand at music, dance and theater under the guidance of experienced entertainers.
- Other Cultural Activities: During the month of the Grec Festival, the entire city of Barcelona springs to life with an abundance of cultural activities offered around every corner. Each library offers organized events, and you'll also see signs for various offerings as you explore the city.
Reserve Your Tickets Today
Many ticket options are available, and you may choose the most advanced ticket that allows you to attend any performance during the entire Grec Festival. You may also opt for a ticket that is good for specific days, weekends or events, and those lodging with us here at Exceptional Stays may count on our dedicated concierge team to reserve your preferred tickets in advance.