If you adore all things related to the art of filmmaking, then you'll definitely want to plan your next visit to Morocco's incredible city of Marrakesh for December. That's when the next Marrakesh International Film Festival has been scheduled, and it draws in established and up- and-coming filmmakers, directors, producers and actors from Morocco and around the world every year. While dates are yet to be set in stone, this event has been tentatively scheduled for Dec. 2-10, 2018, in the main square of Jemaa el Fnaa and at various venues throughout the city, and everyone is invited to come and get the first glimpse of the next big-screen hit.
A Bit of History
This popular film festival got its start in 2001 when King Mohammed VI created it as a way to encourage both the arts and the film industry in Morocco. It certainly worked as Morocco is now the site of many major movie productions, and the film festival has grown bigger and better with each passing year.
While films may be screened from any country, visitors will note that there is a special emphasis placed on Moroccan cinema. You may expect to enjoy full-length films, short films, documentaries, narrative fiction and art films. These are just a few of the films that have been screened for the first time during this festival.
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- A Wedding
- The Age of Shadows
- Goodbye Berlin
More Festival Activities
To get the most out of this excellent film festival, you might also like to check out all of the wonderful things that are happening on the sidelines. These are just a few of the most popular.
- Masterclasses: If you've ever had an interest in making your own film, then this is your chance to take personal instruction from a series of successful directors.
- Audio Description Films: Even those with visual impairments may enjoy this film festival thanks to this special feature.
- Meet the Cinema Professionals: Several small discussion groups are held daily that allow visitors to sit and talk with actors and other cinema professionals in an informal setting.
- Hands-On Workshops: Regardless of what part of filmmaking is interesting to you, you'll discover a workshop that allows you to explore your passion.
Reserve Your Passes
Passes are not yet available for the 2018 film festival, but our dedicated concierge team here at Exceptional Stays has this event on its watch list so that we can lock in passes the moment that they become available. These passes offer access to every screening event so that you won't miss a thing, and you'll just need to let us know when you reserve your preferred vacation residence if you're interested in attending this event.