7 Nov 2017
Spain's stunning island of Mallorca is filled with natural beauty and an abundance of things to do and see. While most of the world knows about the island's pristine beaches and excellent nightlife, not everyone realizes that Mallorca is also a haven for shopping enthusiasts. Whether you're looking for unique holiday gifts for your friends and loved ones or simply want something for yourself, you'll find an abundance of wonderful shopping opportunities during your stay on the island.
Thriving street markets are found throughout Mallorca, and you'll likely find some wonderful treasures regardless of where you shop. However, there are a few street markets on the island that are considered to be much bigger and better than most, and you definitely won't want to return home without checking these out. Keep in mind that haggling for a better price is expected, so don't be shy about making an offer on anything that looks good to you.
- Inca: Open each Thursday morning, this market is considered to be the largest on the entire island. This is definitely the market for you if you're interested in purchasing any type of leather goods, and you'll find an immense selection of quality leather items at excellent prices. Beautiful handwoven clothing, handmade baskets of every size and color, decadent sweets and tasty local foods are also available.
- Sineu: Beginning at 8 a.m. each Wednesday, this long-running market has been a town fixture since all the way back in the early 1300s. Expect large crowds, and be prepared for the presence of live animals that include chickens, lambs and pigs. Many locals and chefs from area restaurants shop here for fresh proteins. Newly picked fruits and vegetables are also available along with an abundance of handmade crafts, leather shoes in every size imaginable and all manner of local goods. There are always pony rides available for the little ones, and it's a great idea to stay for lunch at one of the nearby eateries.
- Palma Marina: If you want fresh seafood that has literally just been caught, then you'll want to visit this incredible fish market. Anything that happens to be biting in the Mediterranean Sea is offered for sale, and this is your chance to get the fresh version of your favorite seafood or try something you've never even seen before. It opens at 6 a.m., and you'll want to come early before the local restaurant chefs arrive. Because the fishermen go out almost daily, this market is open every day except Sunday.
- Santanyi: This market is held each Saturday and Wednesday, and it's a great spot to buy locally made cheeses, homemade jams created with fresh fruit plucked right off the tree and wines made with grapes from the local vineyards. Most vendors offer samples of each item so that you can be assured of buying only the consumables that suit your taste buds. Hand-sewn clothing, fresh fruits and vegetables and many wonderful crafts are also available.
More Shopping Options
Mallorca truly is a dream come true for anyone who loves to shop, and there are a great many excellent stores that offer an amazing selection of inventory that includes vintage clothing, high-end items, designer clothing and accessories and so much more. These are just a few of the most interesting places to shop.
- Bconnected Vintage: Located in the Santa Catalina District of Palma and specializing in vintage and second-hand designer clothing and accessories in top-notch condition, this shop offers such brands as YSL, Prada, Christian Dior, Michael Kors, Haeckel Haus, Louis Vuitton and Chanel. An eclectic assortment of dresses, handbags and shoes grace the shelves, and you may even rent an outfit for an evening out to one of the area's famous clubs.
- Tony Mora Factory Store: Boot lovers rejoice because you've just stumbled across the best handmade boots in the world right here in Mallorca. Tony Mora leather western boots are available directly from this factory in Alaro, and you can be perfectly fitted for a custom-made pair of boots that will be mailed to you in around five weeks. You may also choose the boots right off the rack if you prefer. Each pair of boots includes more than 100 handcrafted touches, and the boot makers pass along their fine-tuned skills to the next generation before they retire.
- Lafiore: A little out of the way in S´Esgleieta, this unique boutique specializes in elevating blown glass to a true art form. You'll find excellent items to give as unique gifts or to decorate your own home, and you may even create your own blown-glass treasures.
Plan Your Mallorca Visit Today
You'll enjoy shopping at these wonderful locations and many others when you come stay with us here at Exceptional Stays. Make your reservations today for a beautiful beachfront stay or some time in the peaceful Mallorcan countryside.